The Girls Inc. agency provides support services year round for girls, ages 6 to 18, in underserved areas of Dallas.
The mission of Girls Incorporated of Metropolitan Dallas is to inspire all girls to be strong, smart and bold. As a champion for all girls and young women for more than 45 years, Girls Inc. believes that every girl has the potential for success and that every girl has the right to pursue her own ambition, inspite of the context of her life or the obstacles she faces.
So we created a special place to awaken a girls potential and to provide opportunities for girls and young women to show the world they can be successful—whether they aspire to graduate high school, be the first in their families to graduate college or become a doctor, engineer or business leader. By connecting them with trained mentors and delivering consistent comprehensive afterschool and summer programming we are supporting and developing the “whole girl.” That means effective life- skills and enrichment programs designed around personal effectiveness, academics, and career planning that help girls navigate gender, economic, and social barriers.
Programs Statement of Purpose
The purpose of Girls Inc. programming is to inspire all girls to be strong, smart and bold and to reach their full potential. Further, Girls Inc. programming is grounded in our Girls Inc. Girl’s Bill of Rights, giving our efforts both focus and direction. Girls Inc. believes that all girls are capable of achieving their full potential if their rights are upheld and the social, cultural, and legal barriers to their success are recognized and addressed.
The Girls Inc. Experience
Girls Growth & Development of Programming — There are 6 essential elements to the Girls Inc. Experience. Together these elements provide a holistic approach to learning that is grounded in a girls’ rights and abilities. At different ages, developmental stages, or happenings in life, one essential element may be more dominant or present for that moment or period of time. However, that element is always supported and enhanced by the other elements.
The six essential elements of the Girls Inc. Experience are:
- A pro-girl and girls-only environment that is physically, socially and emotionally safe and confirms that girls can succeed and deserve to be taken seriously for the persons they are now and the women they will become;
- Trusting, mentoring relationships with adult staff and volunteers trained in an approach that is grounded in a belief in girls’ rights and abilities;
- Holistic, compensatory, and intentional programming focused on girls’ needs and that provides exposure to a wide variety of experiences and options that girls might not have experienced otherwise;
- Relevant, field-tested, and research-based curricula that confront the serious needs of girls while building the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to enable girls to be competent, confident individuals and adult women;
- Girl-centered, motivating, deliberate, and interactive activities that develop and promote girls’ strengths.
- Sustained exposure to programming and connection with a girl over time to increase positive outcomes and reduce the potential for negative outcomes.
Our Theory of Change is that the essential elements and the foundation of the Girls Inc. Experience, developed over decades and guided by a National Research & Training Services Department, leads to these long term outcomes:
- Makes healthy choices
- Manages reproductive health
- Motivated to achieve
- Graduates from high school and has post-secondary education
- Sets & achieves personal, educational and career goals
- Has healthy relationships
- Has sound body image (which is related to self-confidence)
- Uses own voice & advocates for others
- Is resilient